- 6 giant eggs
- 1 cup granulated white sugar (200g)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted (120g)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (7g)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sturdy brewed espresso, espresso most well-liked (120ml)
- 4 + 1/2 cups full-fat mascarpone, chilly (2.2 lbs / 1000g)
- 2+1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted (300g)
- 1/2 cup sturdy brewed espresso – espresso most well-liked, chilled (120ml)
- 1+1/2 cups heavy cream, cool (360ml)
- unsweetened cocoa for dusting on prime
Ornament to your choice
- whipped cream
- cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C. Line the underside and the edges of three 8″ (20cm) baking pans with parchment paper. Put aside.
- Make the genoise cake: In a big mixing bowl, utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk eggs on medium velocity simply till mixed. Add sugar and whisk on medium-high velocity for about 10-12 minutes till white pale, foamy and tripled in dimension. (It takes 3-5 minutes longer with a handheld mixer in comparison with a stand mixer). To know you probably have the precise consistency, let a little bit of batter drip off the whisk attachment on prime of the blended batter. The dripped batter needs to be seen for 10 seconds earlier than it sinks into the batter. If it sinks earlier, you should whisk longer. With a wooden spoon, fold in flour, cornstarch baking powder carefully. Don’t overwork the batter and don’t work too fast otherwise, it will lose too much air. Divide in prepared baking pans and bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick centered in the middle comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 5 minutes. Then remove from pans and remove the paper immediately. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Make the mascarpone frosting: Whisk mascarpone on medium speed until creamy for about 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar and whisk until creamy and combined another 1-2 minutes. Add coffee and whisk until well combined and creamy for about 2-3 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and whisk until fully combined and creamy for another 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble the cake: Place the first cake layer on a cake board or cake stand. Brush with a third of the 1/2 cup coffee.* Then spread 1/3 of the mascarpone cream with an offset spatula on top. Repeat one more time. Place last cake layer on top and lightly frost the outside and the sides of the cake with the remaining frosting. Level the top and sides with the offset spatula. Chill at least 4 hours in the fridge.
- Pipe whipped cream on top if desired. Then dust with cocoa just before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days.