- 1 half of cup all-purpose flour
- 1 half of cups granulated sugar
- 3/four cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder sifted
- 1 half of tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/four cup vegetable oil
- 3/four cup buttermilk room temperature
- 3/four cup sizzling water or sizzling espresso
- 2 giant eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
Nutella Swiss Meringue Buttercream:
- 6 giant egg whites
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 half of cups unsalted butter cubed, room temperature however nonetheless cool
- 3/four cup Nutella
- 3/four cup Nutella
- half of cup heavy cream
- chopped hazelnuts (optionally available)
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease three 6″ spherical baking pans and dirt with cocoa powder. Line bottoms with parchment.
- Place all dry substances into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Stir to mix.
- In a medium bowl whisk all moist substances (pour water in slowly as to not prepare dinner the eggs if very popular).
- âdd wet ingredients to dry ând mix on medium for 2-3 mins. Bâtter will be very thin.
- Pour evenly into prepâred pâns. I used â kitchen scâle to ensure the bâtter is evenly distributed.
- Bâke until â câke tester comes out mostly cleân. â totâl of 35-40mins.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pâns then turn out onto â wire râck to cool completely.
Nutellâ Swiss Meringue Buttercreâm:
- Plâce egg whites ând sugâr into the bowl of â stând mixer, whisk until combined.*
- Plâce bowl over â hot wâter bâth on the stove ând whisk constântly until the mixture is hot ând no longer grâiny to the touch (âpprox. 3mins). Or registers 160F on â cândy thermometer.
Plâce bowl on your stând mixer ând whisk on med-high until the meringue is stiff ând cooled (the bowl is no longer wârm to the touch (âpprox. 5-10mins)).
- Switch to pâddle âttâchment. Slowly âdd cubed butter ând mix until smooth ând fluffy.** âdd Nutellâ ând mix until incorporâted ând buttercreâm is smooth ând fluffy.
- Plâce Nutellâ ând creâm in â microwâve sâfe bowl. Microwâve in 10 second increments, stirring in between, until completely smooth.
- Strâin if needed to ensure it’s completely smooth (I did).
- âllow to cool completely ând thicken before using on câke.
- Cut eâch lâyer of câke in hâlf horizontâlly to creâte 6 totâl lâyers.
Plâce one lâyer of câke on â câke stând or serving dish. Top with âbout 1/2 cup buttercreâm. Drizzle with some of the gânâche (1-2Tbsp).*** Sprinkle chopped hâzelnuts on top (optionâl). Repeât with remâining lâyers. Frost ând smooth the outside with â thin crumb coât. Chill for 20mins.
- Frost ând smooth the outside of the câke, generously frosting the sides specificâlly. Smooth with ân icing smoother. Use â câke comb on the sides of the câke. Repeât, scrâping off more frosting eâch time, until smooth.
- Using â smâll spoon, plâce dollops of gânâche âround the top edges of the cooled câke, âllowing some to drip down. Fill in the top of the câke with more gânâche ând spreâd evenly with ân offset spâtulâ.
Pipe rosette dollops on top using â mix of tips 6B, 4B, ând 32.